How much do dental implants cost – what is worth knowing? Loss of teeth is not only a health problem, but also an aesthetic one. Previously, the solution was to wear a removable or fixed prosthesis. Currently, due to the awareness of patients and their growing expectations, implant treatment is very popular. What are dental implants? What types can be distinguished? When should it be used and who should not? Are they safe?
What are dental implants?
Specially made, usually titanium, artificial tooth roots. Their role is to replace the lost or previously removed natural root. Thanks to dental implants, it is possible to attach new tooth crowns in places of lost teeth. Dental implants are placed in the dental bone by screwing them in. Crowns of artificial teeth are fixed permanently. They are matched in color and texture to the rest of the teeth. This minimizes the visibility of cavities. Dental implants replace single teeth as well as entire dental arches.
Types of dental implants
What dental implants can be specified?
- Firstly – titanium implants, made of titanium, a metal with high biocompatibility and durability. It easily integrates with the bone, making the implant stable, durable and durable. The color of the implant may be a disadvantage. Why? Because if the gum line goes down, the metal part may become visible. Very rarely, titanium is the cause of any allergic reactions.
- Secondly – zirconia implants, made of zirconium oxide. They are ivory in color and their properties are very similar to natural tooth tissue. In addition, as durable as titanium implants. They also integrate well with bone tissue.
Dental implants can also be divided according to the waiting time for the effect of the procedure. One- and two-phase implants are distinguished here. The first of them is fully put on during the first visit. Thanks to this, the patient leaves the dental office on the same day with a ready tooth. Unfortunately, this is not always possible, and more time is needed to place implants. This is especially true for people who have significant gaps in their teeth. Then two-phase implants are necessary. First, the implant itself is placed, then, after the wound has healed, a crown is put on. It should be noted that healing may take up to several months. The dentist, in consultation with the patient, selects the type of implants. This is to meet the aesthetic expectations of the customer and, above all, to fit within the budget assumed by him.
What are the indications for dental implants?
Dental implants are recommended for people who are missing individual teeth or even completely edentulous. This may be due to various reasons, such as:
- untreated periodontitis,
- Failure to develop tooth buds,
- Removal of teeth due to progressive caries.
The loss of teeth gradually leads to bone loss. This, in turn, leads to recurrent headaches, muscle contractures, malocclusion and changes in the shape of the face. Implantation is able to prevent this process. It should be noted that dental implants are much more comfortable for patients than standard prostheses .
Are there any contraindications to treatment with dental implants?
Although dental implants bring a lot of benefits to the patient, not everyone can take advantage of them. The dentist ultimately decides whether the patient qualifies for such a procedure. There are contraindications, which include:
- Young age. These are teenagers who are in the process of bone development;
Temporary insertion of implants is prevented by local contraindications that occur in the oral cavity, e.g. injuries or inflammation of the mucosa.
How much do dental implants cost?
This is an individual matter, depending on several factors. The final amount depends on:
- additional consultations,
- Experience of the implantologist,
- The quality of the materials used,
- Technologies used.
In addition, the cost of installing dental implants also includes:
- radiological examinations,
- Additional services such as bone reconstruction or maxillary sinus lifting,
- Dentist consultation fees.
Therefore, the prices of implants range from about PLN 2,000 to PLN 7,000 for one tooth. The National Health Fund does not finance this procedure in any way.
Are dental implants safe?
Patients often wonder if dental implants are safe for their health, are they permanent? By far, in most cases, implants are not rejected, even five years after their implantation. In addition, if they are properly installed and properly integrated with the bone, they will serve the patient for life. Ultimately, however, it depends on the client. Proper oral hygiene has a significant impact on the condition of implants. Teeth should be cleaned regularly. This also applies to interdental spaces.